The USDA says to "make smart choices from every food group" and part of their dietary guidelines emphasizes eating more fruits and vegetables...
How about having both your fruit and vegetables with a cookie?
Cream cheese filling:
2 oz cream cheese (@ room temperature)
2 oz or half a stick of unsalted butter (also @ room temperature)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
Dry goods (as AB would say)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
a pinch of salt
1 tsp ground ginger or 2 tsp fresh minced ginger
1 stick unsalted butter melted & cooled
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
Last minute mix ins
1/3 cup currants (or raisins)
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1. In a small bowl prepare the cream cheese filling by mixing the softened cream cheese, butter and sugar. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, mix to combine and then set in fridge for 30 minutes to firm.
2. Prepare the wet works: in a bowl combine sugars and use fingers to break any lumps. Add melted and cooled butter, whisking to dissolve mixture. Add a pinch of salt, then one egg yolk. Stir to combine.
3. Fold in 3/4 cups shredded carrots, then add the dry goods, currants/raisins and oats. Continue folding gently until combined.
4. Place by tablespoons on parchment lined baking sheet (using two spoons helps transfer mix and keep them rounded). Bake at 350 degrees 15-18 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through to brown.
5. Let cookies cool completely before adding filling (otherwise the filling will melt!) then top with another cookie or serve individually.
© Everyday Foods